Today is Beltane, cue the images of the Goddess and her Consort entwined, talk of fertility rituals and just the general feel that everyone and every living thing is getting it on!
Beltane, or Mayday as it is sometimes called falls bang in the middle of the spring equinox and the summer solstice.
Rain has been falling through April, the earth has been warming up, and we get that quickening energy. The next wave of blossoms appear, the trees are green with life and it would have been the time our ancestors turned their herds out to the pasture from the winter homes.
- You are a part of nature, always have been and always will be. All that is happening for nature is happening for you. We can all reap the rewards of the abundance that flows from what happens at this time of year.
- Union is a force in the universe unto itself. There is a pull bringing things to merge and unite together. This is cyclical in its nature and always at work. Water runs back to the oceans, our bodies decompose in to the soil. Life is brought together to create new life. If you don’t get actively in the way of this force, it will come to you.
- We are limiting our ideas of union as that of two partners, of a man and a woman, to the idea of love, a pairing. Nature themselves has a far more expansive view of what union is. Challenge yourself to notice where two become one, where life is co-operating, where you yourself are being offered opportunity to connect with nature.
- Be kind to yourself about the automatic and often unconscious responses we all have moving about this world thanks to centuries of a dominant patriarchal and hetero-normative message about love and union that centered on the biological family, competition with others and control of resources.
- Use your mind as a tool to take critical note of what messages we’re being fed and are downloading about how we should and can meet our needs for intimacy and love. Remember you ARE equipped with the pre-conquest qualities of connection, co-operation and a shared investment in others and this world.
- Sit with a tree, smile with a flower, talk with a non-human animal, share your heart with a friend, smell the blossom on the breeze, feel the grass beneath your feet. You’re maybe more connected than you were allowing yourself to realise.
- You are not alone, the universe wants to know you, you just have to let them in. The cold and dark of the winter months can close us up, but this is life itself flirting coquettishly with you asking you to dance. This is the time to get your groove on with the world.
- Know that unity, like any act of consensual pleasure, is a conscious choice we can make every single moment. We may not be perfect, and we may trip and stumble along the way, but we can come back to this choice if we only remember.